Aug 13 2011

Interview: Himeshji

Published by at 4:17 pm under At Da Edge,DamaDamm,HR Interviews,HR Musik Limited

Comeback with Salman’s film is an enormous feeling: Himesh Reshammiya.

The ‘Aap kaa Suroor’ singer talks about the music of Bodyguard, Salman Khan, international collaborations, acting stint and more…

Himesh Reshammiya is back with a bang! Starting with Bodyguard, he is all set to start composing again for movies that he is not starring in. With an international album and movie, a new venture HR Musik and collaborations with world renowned artists innhis kitty, the music director, composer, singer and actor has a lot to look forward to.

In an exclusive tête-à-tête, the ‘Aap kaa Suroor’ singer talks about the music of Bodyguard, Salman Khan, international collaborations, acting stint and more…

Please tell us about the music of Bodyguard?
I started off my career as a composer with ‘Odh li chunariya’ and ‘Pyaar kiya toh darna kya’. I am very thankful to Salmanbhai for giving me a break in the industry. To make a comeback with his film is an enormous feeling. My last film as a composer—in a film that I was not starring in—was Namastey London (2007).

I’m very proud of my work in Bodyguard. I’ve done three tracks for the movie, of them two are dance numbers—’Desi beats’ and the title track, which is Salman Bhai’s introductory song. Katrina Kaif has a cameo in the song. It’s been performed by a group of artists, Band of Power, and Salman Khan. Salman has narrated the main dialogue from the film in the song, which sounds fantastic.

The third track is a love song ‘Teri Meri Prem Kahaani’ sung by Rahat Fateh Ali Khan and Shreya Ghoshal. It’s my favorite track which is dedicated to Salman because he’s been very instrumental in shaping the music of Bodyguard.

I have been reinventing music every two years. I started with complete dhamaal dance tracks moving on to melodious tunes like Tere Naam(2003) moving on to the techno sounding numbers like ‘Just Chill’, ‘Mohabbat Hai Mirchi’, ‘Nikamma’ etc to Sufi music with ‘Aap Ka Suroor.’ I can tell you that Bodyguard is one step ahead in melody and also the sound. So it’s a complete new Himesh Reshammiya that you’ll hear!

Please take us through your upcoming projects. What are you most excited about?
A lot of my work is coming out this year. After Bodyguard, I have a romantic comedy called Damadamm. It is the first film from my company HR Music in collaboration with T-Series. I am extremely proud to be associated with this movie. We’re also working on Namastey London 2.

I am working on my first international English album At Da Edge, which has 15 songs and Romanian composer, singer and performer Edward Maya has remixed the first single called ‘I’ve been waiting for you so long.’

I am very excited about my first international film Star is Killed as an actor as well as a composer. I am playing the role of Siddharth Patel, an Indian musician. It is a thriller directed by French director Christopher Lenoir. The entire film has been shot in Paris.

Year 2011 is going to be very crucial for me. My company HR Music is going to release a lot of work. We have already readied some 500-odd songs and have signed on and collaborated with 250 artists. So now I have a bank of about 750-800 songs ready with me. Creatively, I am reloaded!

Tell us more about your collaboration with Edward Maya. How has the experience been?
At Da Edge has 15 songs and Edward Maya has remixed the first single. That’s the first “true” international collaboration because earlier we’ve had some really big artists remixing Hindi songs but herein, an artist from India (Himesh Reshammiya) is going to be launched in 122 countries globally and an artist from abroad who is a huge DJ (Edward Maya) has remixed an English song.

The experience has been fantastic! I’ve been studying their culture for about a year and a half. I have a great team working on my international album. My look has been styled by Damian and Avigail who have been styling Rihanna. The videos are being directed by Roman White who has been directing videos for Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift and more such artists.

When are you planning to release At Da Edge?
I will be releasing the entire album the way international ones usually are. First we release the first single, then the second single and when the third single is released, we will release the entire album. The first single will hit the discos by September or October, the second single should be out by January so the album should hit by March or April next year. The video for the first single will premiere by November. I have shot the promo and some other parts. I’ll be going back to Miami to finish shooting the entire video.

We hear you are collaborating with Shakira and Vanessa Hudgens in At Da Edge?
No, they are just rumors and speculations by the media! It’s not Shakira or Vanessa. There are a lot of other collaborations but I’ll be announcing it a little later.

What’s happening on your acting front?
Damadamm is the only feel good comedy film, which is hitting Diwali this year. After Imtiaz Ali and Anurag Basu, I truly believe that Swapna Waghmare is the director to watch out for. I’m really confident about this movie.

We hear you’ve planned to release Damadamm with Ra.One?
Ra.One is the biggest film to hit the market this year, but there’s always space for a smaller film and in diwali where we have a five day holiday, there’s always room for a romantic comedy, made straight from the heart. Other than that like I mentioned I am starring in the international film A Star is Killed. There are two more films that I shall announce in a few days time.

Are you now open to singing for other music directors?
Yes, I actually am open to everything now—acting, singing, and composing. Earlier I wasn’t able to do something for AR Rahman, I will be doing so now. I want to work with all my colleagues with whom I’ve been interacting often recently.

Would it be right to say, currently Bollywood represents the Indian Music scene?
Ofcourse! People all over the world are big fans of Bollywood. Non film music is not working right now but I believe that you can create much better melodies if non film music comes up like my album Aap Ka Suroor or Adnan Sami’s Tera Chehra or Sonu Niigaam’s Deewana, these were all amazing albums. But worldwide non film music is selling in a big way. I’m hoping the scene in India changes soon too.

Any concerts/tours lined up?
Yes, the concerts will happen once Damadamm releases. I will be going on a world tour next year! So, 2012 should be really big.

Article Credits: PlanetRadioCity.com

23 Responses to “Interview: Himeshji”

1. PARVESHon 13 Aug 2011 at 9:03 pm

ohh no ,we will have to wait till april 2012 now
    y so much time to release it…..

2. gauravon 13 Aug 2011 at 10:03 pm

Nice! But i cant understand whats going on, promotion of dmd must b start, also we cant wait for that music, i knw title track and ‘umraojaan’ song is best in damdamadam movie, Plz jem rep. I m fan of hr so i m really worried.

3. Anason 13 Aug 2011 at 11:26 pm

Congratulations,Glad 2 see u again..HR ji gonna hit the charts.go ahead,..best wishes 4 ur future plans…:-)
    @jemji
    could u pls upload the track lists done by HRji in brief between 2005-2011.pls,

4. vimalon 14 Aug 2011 at 12:01 am

jai matadi lets rock

sky is the limit

5. Ajiron 14 Aug 2011 at 10:42 pm

Shakira singing in At Da Edge is a rumour?? Hey, its not fair!. The music of Damadamm should have already been released by now!

6. Jemon 14 Aug 2011 at 10:49 pm

@Ajir: Plans can change! DamaDamm is releasing October end – music can not release too early! We have lots to look forward to…just wait & watch ;o) Thanks, Jem

7. Akshit jojraon 15 Aug 2011 at 7:59 am

Ohhhhhh himdsh ji u r a great person … one bad news is now i m waitind for april …….

8. malayon 15 Aug 2011 at 12:55 pm

I am realy very happy because, himesh ji will be sung for all big music directer. And waiting for at de edge. thanks.

9. vimalon 15 Aug 2011 at 11:28 pm

WE WISH U ALL A VERY HAPPY INDIPENDENCE DAY

JAI HIND

JAI MATADI

10. Manason 16 Aug 2011 at 8:45 am

International albums release in this way… and don’t worry, with in one month damadamm music will be released. till then enjoy bodyguard

11. gauravon 16 Aug 2011 at 2:32 pm

Dmd music realease around 20th sep. And next promo wil cum at eid.

12. nitinon 17 Aug 2011 at 1:25 pm

so we can expect the music of damadam,1 song of @the edge and the song with sachin gupta this year..anyhow bodyguard music rocks!

13. vinay kumaron 20 Aug 2011 at 9:36 am

Hi sir,
    You are good at music composing sir ,as i have listened to your so far albums.
    i want to know your “i am free falling in soul” music in namstey london is from ,as i want to listen to full song of it sir.Can you give me the link or any information .exact link as i have heard from “http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzHhqOFYS-o ” .please do response for this post sir.
    thanking you,
    vinay.

14. Redon 20 Aug 2011 at 10:50 pm

@vinay himesh ji did not compose this song because its play in background and background score of this movie by salim-sulaiman. And i think this song is originally english because one of another song “as your best friend” which is play in starting is composed by Eden and you will get it on youtube :)

15. gauravon 23 Aug 2011 at 1:06 pm

Is anybody checking official site of hr?

16. Jemon 23 Aug 2011 at 8:49 pm

@gaurav: I do believe http://www.hrmusiklimited.com is in the process of being updated :o) Thanks, Jem

17. gauravon 24 Aug 2011 at 12:32 am

Thanx jem, but y site is nt upedated? Also next promo may b cum wid bodyguard, and dmd music should b release around 20sep. So site must b active

18. Mayankon 24 Aug 2011 at 5:15 pm

Director Vikram Bhatt Sign Himesh Reshammiya Music Director For Dengerous Ishq

19. manason 24 Aug 2011 at 7:54 pm

guys!
    a bad news. damadamm! promo is not going to be shown with Bodyguard.
    main khud chahta hoon ki ye news sach naa ho, but taran adarsh ka tweet yahi kehta hai… HR should do something. he is going to release damadamm! with Ra. One and no promos yet… its not a good sign.
    jem di, ab to dar lagne laga hai… kitni bhi achchhi movie ho, bagair achchhe promotions ke nahin chalta… we know that.
    and Radio is an example.

20. gauravon 25 Aug 2011 at 12:30 am

Yup jem, sometimes i cant understand hr. Atleast one song must come out for promotion. I heard 2 song of dmd, and both r heart touching.

21. gauravon 25 Aug 2011 at 5:40 pm

hello jem ji….how much v have to wait??? each and every news are coming @ long time…also i m eager 2 listen dmd music….

22. Nitishon 26 Aug 2011 at 9:20 pm

on twitter;; Vikram Bhatt shares that Himeshji might compose music for Dangerous Ishq!!

23. Sujeeton 12 Nov 2011 at 7:18 pm